Sunday, September 18, 2011

Review: Manang's Chicken and Bon Chon Chicken

I'd heard about about Bon Chon Chicken first then I heard that
Manang's is either the Pinoy version or the better version, depending
on who's giving the comment. So I decided to try both.

I ate a 1 pc chicken breast with mild spicy sauce, P75, at Manang's
Chicken in their first shop on Garnet Rd. in Ortigas. Service was
friendly and at 10 am, I was their sole customer. I guess that's why
the crew felt it was ok to talk rather loud and scold at the other.
Chicken tasted good although the neck was included and was difficult
to eat so there wasn't that much meat overall. The chicken was a bit
too sweet for my taste although the spiciness was just right for a
heat-wimp like me. I liked it overall but wouldn't be looking for it
anytime soon. I'd probably take KFC over it since they generally serve
meaty breast parts.

At Bon Chon Chicken in Robinsons Ortigas, service was friendly too and
the place was nice and cold even though it was packed. A single
chicken pc. with a drink was P95. Unfortunately, you can only get a
drumstick. I prefer white meat so I ordered the chops which come in
two pieces of breast fillet for P145. What a letdown! The fillets were
tiny, dry and worst of all, tasteless! I ordered the soy chicken
instead of spicy knowing the Korean predeliction for tongue-burningly
spicy food (even noodles!). The coating was crisp but the taste was
really bland. Next time I order Bon Chon, I will try the drumstick.
There's more meat in a drumstick than in their breast fillet.

Where Bon Chon won hands down was with the rice. The rice tasted great
and was cooked just right. On the other hand, the rice at Manang's
tasted like NFA rice and worse, there was one 1-mm stone, one insect
that looked like a large rice weevil, and one unidentified dark thing
twice as big as the weevil. I wish I had a camera so I could have
taken a picture of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment