Saturday, September 24, 2011

Review: Cold Rock Ice Creamery

I bought a CashCashPinoy voucher for a sundae and a large cup of ice cream with two mix-ins. I'd specified the Trinoma branch but it closed before I could claim the voucher so we were forced to go to the last remaining branch at the Greenbelt 3 Cinema.

The servers were very helpful, explaining that for the sundae, we could choose three ice cream flavors and for the large cup, two flavors. We chose the chocolate indulgence and white macadamia for the large cup, with maltesers and cashews (I would have preferred almonds but cashews were the only nuts available) as mix-ins. For the sundae, we chose strawberry, green tea and macapuno.

I liked the large cup ice cream mix, served in a paper cup that wasn't really all that large. A scoop is around 2.5" across or smaller only. It wasn't too sweet and I really liked the cashews and maltesers. The chocolate indulgence flavor didn't have too much of a chocolate/cocoa taste. However, it was a bit too soft for me. I'd have preferred a harder, colder ice cream. By the time we were done with the cup, the sundae had started to melt. It was served in a banana split glass boat and had whipped cream, nuts and a cherry on top. The macapuno was too creamy for my taste while the strawberry did not have the intense flavor I wanted. But the green tea was pretty awful. The taste of macha was intense and it didn't go well with the creaminess of the ice cream. I wish there was pistachio ice cream available but the fruit flavors were just too tropical/Pinoy: langka, avocado, ube, etc.

For P280, the ice cream was an expensive treat (you can already buy half a gallon of supermarket ice cream for that amount!) but at P576? I doubt it! If I had dough to drop on expensive ice cream I'd prefer Haagen Dazs or even Dreyers. It's not like Ben and Jerry's is available in the Philippines!

Next thing to try: mochi with gelato!

No comments:

Post a Comment