Wednesday, May 25, 2016

What is "double dutch" ice cream?


Images from Selecta Facebook page

As a chocolate lover, I've always preferred Rocky Road over Double Dutch even when I was a kid. Double dutch was just vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup ripple and chocolate bits as far as I was concerned.

Now, I'm more willing to go for non-chocolate flavors and during the rare times I buy ice cream I usually want to try new-to-me flavors.

Recently, a friend bought a tub of Selecta double dutch ice cream and I was surprised to see it had marshmallows and peanuts, those add-ins I associate with rocky road. Has double dutch always had these and I just never noticed?

I tried searching for what makes a flavor "double dutch" and found only one website referring to heavily dutched cocoa/chocolate and a PDF or nutrition info for double dutch ice cream that seemed to be merely a richer chocolate flavor. The rest were Filipino pages or Asian at most (Walls in Vietnam or Singapore). Rocky road, meanwhile, has a documented history.

Does anyone remember if double dutch always had marshmallows and nuts or is my memory failing me?

4 comments:

  1. Yes. Ever since I was a kid. I love it when the ice cream melts in my mouth and I have to eat the bits last. A combination of marshmallows, chocolate chips and nuts. I am now 21 years old. It is still my fave ice cream flavor. My top 1 is Double Dutch. Top 2 is cookies and cream. Top 3 is rocky road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Effy! I'm double your age so it's possible that the formula changed when you were born and I never noticed because I almost never ordered double dutch, hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found this post while googling the origins of double dutch. I think the nuts are cashew, no?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had double dutch for the longest time so I can't say. I do know it's cashews for proper sans rival!

      Delete